Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breakfast For Dinner

I usually don't go out for breakfast, unless I am traveling, because I like simple breakfasts and rarely feel like I get my money's worth (two eggs cost how much?).  I heard that West Egg Cafe on the West Side serves breakfast all day and decided to give it a try for an early dinner.  West Egg also has a lunch and dinner menu but the breakfast offerings sounded better.  I went with the Black Bean Cakes and Eggs - fried eggs served over two black bean patties, topped with chipotle salsa and sour cream, all accompanied by pan-fried potatoes.  Service was a little slow the night I was there so I was fairly famished by the time I received my meal.  I unearthed a black bean cake and took a bite.  It was heavily spiced with cumin but when combined with some egg and salsa, the spice was tempered.  The smoky chipotle salsa added flavor but not heat and the small dollop of sour cream was just enough to add a bit of richness to the dish.  The potatoes were nicely crisped with some red onions and properly seasoned.  The portion did not seem huge but I was quite full by the time I was done.  I wasn't expecting a great dinner but I was pleasantly surprised - and at $7.50, it was much cheaper than most dinners out.  West Egg has a great modern industrial space that fits in with the West Side aesthetic and seems like a fun place to stop off for a coffee and a snack even if you're not up for breakfast all day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment