Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegetarian Heaven


I have thought many times about what kind of restaurant I would open if I had the chance - a small neighborhood cafe serving only a few options, which changed daily, plus a couple of freshly baked cakes for dessert.  When I walked into Dynamic Dish, my dream restaurant was realized but the food turned out to be even better than I had imagined.
I met a good friend for lunch there so I got to try several dishes.  Between us, we had the white corn soup, oyster mushrooms and collards, plus a almond-scallion cream cheese sandwich.  The best thing I tried were the oyster mushrooms which tasted of caramelized tamari and garlic.  The accompanying collards were steamed and bright green instead of dark, green mush that is usually served most other places.  The sandwich was a close second.  The delicious almond-scallion cream cheese (I will be trying this at home) was topped with sliced bosc pear, basil, and fresh cranberry sauce.  There were bits of crunch from the almonds and sweetness from the pear - very tasty!  The white corn soup had bits of potato and was topped with pumpkin seeds and chives.  It was very complex and I had a hard time identifying the flavors (some sort of curry blend?) but this was not a typical, sweet, corn soup.  It tasted good but there were a bit too many pumpkin seeds getting in the way of everything else.
Dyanmic Dish is not located on the best of streets but at lunch time safety was not a concern.  Some people have issues with the portion sizes and prices.  The portion sizes are small to medium and the prices are that of a mid-priced restaurant - the soup was $6, veggie plate was $8 and the sandwich was $10.  You'll probably spend $15 to $20 on lunch but you are paying for pristine vegetables and very creative cooking.  I think of Dynamic Dish as 'gourmet vegetarian' and I am happy to splurge for an exciting meal on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment