Monday, May 23, 2011

Victory Sandwich Bar

Oh, Victory Sandwich Bar, how much I want to love you.  You have so much going for you.  Cool neighborhood - check!  Trendy, industrial space - check!  Bar - check!  Relaxed atmosphere - check!  Ping-pong table - check!   One great veggie sandwich - uh, no.

The idea of some small, slider-type sandwiches sounded perfect for a quick lunch one weekday.  It was raining, so unfortunately we couldn't sit on the patio.  Inside was just fine though and the random punching bag was an interesting decorative touch.  I knew going in that the menu was limited and just one vegetarian sandwich was available.  Hummus was available as an appetizer but it is such a staid option.  As much as I like hummus, I eat enough on a regular basis and was not tempted to try their version.  So I ordered the 'hand salad' sandwich and it was quickly delivered.  The sandwich consisted of arugula, mozzarella, an avocado aioli-type spread and hummus.  The sandwich was mostly good.  The bread was soft (but not wonder bread soft) and the aioli went well with the cheese and arugula.  Then they ruined it with hummus.  The hummus did not belong and overwhelmed the other, better flavors.  The sandwich was small but some chips helped placate my hunger.  I really would have liked another sandwich but a different one. 

Victory Sandwich Bar may be fun later in the evening for a drink and to play some ping-pong.  But until they get a new vegetarian sandwich, I won't be eating there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment