Thursday, September 30, 2010

So-So Sandwiches


I had read good reviews about Noon Midtown and so when my friend Teresa suggested lunch, I suggested Noon.  We walked in, placed our order after some deliberation, and seated ourselves.  The restaurant's decor is modern and minimalist but not lacking warmth.  It is, however, quite loud when packed at lunch.  We didn't have to wait long before our food arrived on shiny, metal trays.  I had a cup of smoky tomato soup and the roasted eggplant panino.  My friend had the grilled cheese and potato soup.  We dove in trying to eat and talk at the same time.  I ordered eggplant because cool weather has finally arrived in Atlanta and for local eaters at least, eggplant will soon be a past summer memory.  Also, the other vegetarian options seemed to rely more heavily on various cheeses and not too much on vegetables.  Back to my panino - the eggplant was accompanied by sun-dried tomato, goat cheese, and a balsamic glaze - a pleasing combination but hardly innovative.  The filling was tasty but the bread was a bit dry and bland.  The warm tomato soup was indeed a bit smoky but also salty and the consistency was almost smooth but not quite.  I kept trying to find some highlight of this meal but came up empty.  While the quality of the ingredients seemed high and portions adequate, there was nothing that made the sandwich or soup special.  My friend remarked that her meal was quite average as well.  If comfort food is what you seek, Noon may fit the bill.  For me though, there are more exiting options around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment