Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tofu Two Ways


Chef Hector Santiago has been quite busy this summer with his two new ventures.  The first, El BurroPollo burrito stand, is located in the Pura Vida parking lot.  It is open only on Saturdays and Sundays from noon until supplies run out, which can be as early as 1.30 pm.   Luckily, apart from chicken, there is a tofu option.  Overall, this was a pleasant change from the standard burritos all over Atlanta - no rice, black beans, or cheese - just chargrilled goodness.  The tortilla and the tofu were both grilled to give both a smoky taste.  The tofu itself was not brimming with additional flavor but the lettuce, carrots, radishes, cilantro, and special sauce made the combination both tasty and refreshing.  The burrito costs $6 but chatting with the amiable Chef Hector and the fun, messy eating comes at no additional charge.


Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop just sounds like somewhere I want to visit.  Finally I made it there around 1pm one weekday (only open Tuesdays to Fridays for lunch).  It was busy but no long line.  I ordered the smoked tofu buns, the only vegetarian sandwich available.  The smoked pilon sugar tofu was topped with cabbage, cilantro, tamarind sauce, and a spicy sambal-like sauce.  The bun itself was a soft, white pillow tasting of coconut.  I practically inhaled the first bun (luckily there are two per order) due to hunger.  I had to make myself eat the second one much slower.  It was amazing that in one bite I could identify all the contrasting flavors - the smoky tofu, sweet coconut, crunch cabbage etc.  Then I realized that the sauce had a kick - just enough to make my tongue tingle but not too much to make my nose run.  Luckily, I also bought the 'farm egg' flan which was just sweet and creamy enough to reduce the burn and leave me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment